Over the weekend, I received a couple of emails from my hosting provider that my blogs were outdated because I was still on WordPress 2.1.3. So today, I decided to stop these periodic emails coming in to my mailbox and upgraded my blogs to WordPress 2.2. I had previously installed my WordPress using the easy-to-use cPanel Fantastico Deluxe installation, which required just a mere click of a button. And upgrading to WordPress 2.2 was equally simple. First I exported my entire blog into XML format for backup purposes (Manage > Export > Save XML file to local hard disk) and then I just clicked on the Upgrade link in my cPanel. Easy-peasy!
Or so I thought… this afternoon I received feedback from 2 of my colleagues (who also read my blogs) that my blogs had a weird A character appearing after every sentence in every post! I did a quick check and sure enough, it was like a slew of ASCII codes had attacked me blogs! Aaarrrrghhhhh!!!! I sent a quick email to my hosting provider and within an hour, I received a reply from them. Apparently, I had to comment out 2 lines of code in the wp-config.php file. According to the helpdesk, this is because WordPress 2.2 by default does not establish proper UTF-8 connection to the database, especially when the upgrade is done using Fantastico. So there was the problem. 🙂
So for those of you who also face this similar problem, here’s the fix. Just comment out the following 2 lines of code in your wp-config.php file, which is located at /home/<login name>/public_html/wp-config.php :
After commenting, it should look like this (with the pound/hash (#) symbol in front of each of the lines:
So much for all that technical hooha. I’m back…and 2.2 is up and running!