How to get rid of a house cockroach in 10 easy steps:
- Announce that you spot the cockroach crawling around on the floor. Say something like, “Cockroach!”
- Call out to your hubby, boyfriend, housemate, father, mother, or whoever you are living with to help you get rid of it. Skip this step if you are living alone.
(In my case, when I asked hubbs (sweetly) to help me get rid of the 6-legged creature, he mumbled something that sounded like, “You said you weren’t afraid what…” – he must have been referring to revelation that I was fearless when it came to bugs and roaches. Me and my big mouth. So much for being a damsel in distress. Bah.)
- Find some old newspapers. It helps if you have a stack ready somewhere in the house.
- Put two sheets of old newspaper aside and roll the rest of the newspaper into something resembling a bat, …. well…something you can hit with.
- With one quick whack, hit the cockroach in such a way as to make it giddy. Repeat a few times if cockroach is still moving happily around. If you’re in luck, the fella will be overturned, with legs sticking up.
- Quickly grab the 2 sheets of newspaper you put aside and wrap the cockroach up.
- Stuff the wrapped-up bundle into a plastic or paper bag. Secure tightly with a dead knot.
- Put it outside the house. DO NOT throw it in the dustbin IN your house. The little critter *might* escape.
- Dispose of the bag as soon as you can.
- Put on smug look of achievement on a job well done.