I’ll be frank. I’ve never tried making Spaghetti Marinara on my own before, because I figured it would be too difficult to make (yeah, I was too lazy to even bother googling it..haha). At home, I’d always made Bolognese sauce, so my kids have their marinara fix at restarants.
But then a dear friend of mine shared her really easy-to-make homemade marinara sauce. With such a easy recipe, how could I resist? I just had to try it out.
And the results? Absolute Perfezione! 🙂
I got a fantastic marinara sauce that tasted oh-so-good with spaghetti, and best of all, the kids loved it! 🙂 It’s 100% vegetarian (just in case anyone wanted a vegetarian meal) and I could easily convert it into a shrimp marinara (by adding shrimps) or chicken marinara (by adding cubed chicken breast). It’s a yummy, slurpy homemade meal that does not burn a hole in your purse! 🙂
Here’s my recipe for Spaghetti Marinara (yields about 4 servings, depending on how big an eater you are):
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1 ½ tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper (according to taste)
- Your favorite pasta (Spaghetti, linguini, etc)
- Heat olive oil under medium heat in a saucepan, then add minced garlic.
- Cook till fragrant (without burning).
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Once it boils, simmer uncovered under low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in basil and parsley, cook for 1 minute.
- Serve over cooked pasta.