For the past few days, my entire family has been under the weather. Hannah had a bout of food poisoning and is nursing a slight cough now. Ethan is coughing a little too, although both the kids are well on their way to recovery now. Both Pete and I have our noses blocked now. 🙁
It’s no fun at all, I’m sure you know, and just as I was racking my brains today trying to come up with something comforting and soothing to enjoy (apart from the traditional chicken soup), I figured I would just throw some stuff together and see if it tastes good.
Now I know that basil is supposed to be good for ailments such as cough and cold, so I definitely wanted to add that into the soup. Then I just added whatever else I thought would taste yummy, and so I ended up with my very own version of Seafood Tomato Basil Soup!
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- Some olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped into cubes roughly
- Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp tomato puree or instant tomato pasta sauce
- About 20-25 leaves of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 15-20 shrimps, peeled
- 1-2 cups water, depending on consistency preferred
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up olive oil over a medium flame, and sautÃ©e the onions, garlic and Italian seasoning until fragrant.
- Pour in the tomatoes and tomato puree/pasta sauce.
- Add the water and increase heat until soup comes to a boil.
- Stir in the shrimps, and lower the heat till a simmer. You could also add in other types of seafood like fish slices, clams, crabmeat etc.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh basil and mix gently.
- Serve hot, either with steamed rice, bread, buns or even pasta!
Have you cooked up a recipe simply on a whim before? 🙂
This soupy recipe was certainly a welcome change for our palates, and the tomato and basil went so well together! I’m definitely adding in some clams the next time I cook this!